Monday, December 8, 2008

Muay Thai: The Greatest Martial Art


Hi there my fellow creatures of the night!


I'm a bit upset because of the hearbreaking loss the Cowboys suffered today... godamn Tony Romo, you can't make those mistakes! But I do have some good news, after writing the article about the love for one's pet I have crafted a loving relationship with my dog Ali. I took him on a walk yesterday and spent some time with him today in the garden. He's old, but he's still very strong, and I really enjoy spending time with him, and I'm sure he enjoys spending time with me.


Now, onto the subject at hand.


No one can deny the fact that these past few months have changed my life considerably. The action films I have watched at the Teka Film School have shaped this past semester entirely. From the one-liners, to my newlyfound physical fitness at the gym I feel I have become a much better person. Now I don't give into anyone, I have become a reasonably tough guy and a much healthy human being.


Aside from my food controlling habits and my daily weightlifting and powerlifting routine, I have now resurfaced my former Martial Arts likings and returned to these sports stronger than ever. I practiced Karate for 10 years, and every fight I have ever been a part of has been shaped by this philosophical Martial Art.


Now however, I have discovered a new Martial Art... a Martial Art that will see me become champion once again: Muay Thai, the Thai Martial art, or, as other people prefer to call it, Thailand Kick Boxing.


Unlike Karate, Kung Fu, Nijistu, Jujitsu and other Martial Arts and as vividly portrayed in Tony Ja's Onk Bak and Protector films and Van Damme's Bloodsport and Kickboxer, Muay Thai provides something no other Art of War (ethymological meaning of the word Martial Arts) does. While the former generally focus on hits with the hands (Karate and Boxing), Legs (Taekwando), physical strength (Aikido, Judo and Jujitsu) or mental prowess (Ninjitsu), Muay Thai focuses on 8 points (there can be more, but we will stick to 8 for now) of contact that are used regularly (it is generally referred to as the "Art of the 8 Limbs) to fight off oponents.


In Muay Thai one can strike with the shins, the forearms, the elbows, the knees, the head, the feet and the fists, and unlike some Martial Arts we can strike in short or long distance, with sufficient quickness to beat a Ninja's kick and sufficient force to break a Boxer's Guard.


Muay Thay hails from Thailand, and has been widely used as an attack and defense strategy by the royal thai guards for centuries, has morphed into kickboxing in the west, and is used extensively in Full Contact fights and UFC tournaments.


Thai is the ideal defense art. While the Israeli Krav Magga and the Soviet Sambo are focused on dissabling the enemy and are widely known as the ideal vehicles of self defense (other types of Martial Arts are more of a sport) Muay Thai is more of a complete defense method than any of the other two. In Muay Thai one can defend oneself from multiple agressors while at the same time having realistic chances of beating someone who is armed or in an advantage situation. The knees, shins, head and elbows provide excellent opportunities to strike the oponent, and no matter how much at a disadvantage we lie at any point during a fight, Muay Thai can help us win the dispute.


In addition, Muay Thai is an excellent exercise and prominent sport. In Thailand, Muay Thai is the national sport and champions are considered national celebrities who tour the country and the world showing off their multiple skills. Anyone in need of exercise should check out this Martial Art. Not only will you become more physically fit, but you will learn how to fight and win with great ease and skill.


Try it, I guarantee you won't regret it. And you'll get a chance to fight me on the road to my national championship.


That is all,


I'll see you in the future,


"I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."


Happy Hunting,


The WikiVampire


No comments: